- Last post
- 9 Responses
Trying to get gmail on iphone and mac to play nice though I can't figure it out.
I have POP setup on my mac mail (main computer, physical backups) and want all email to go there, regardless if it's read by the iPhone or not.
If I setup the iPhone as IMAP will all recent emails still go to the POP account on my mac? I'd rather not use IMAP actually. Then there is this Exchange setting you can do... but seems overkill.
sorry to post here, though the interweb is giving me all sorts of answers.
Use IMAP everywhere and POP nowhere. Syncing will just work.
Hear that a lot. Tried IMAP -- didn't like its clunkiness and online-only nature.
Huh? I'm not sure you're doing it right. Can you elaborate? You really shouldn't be using POP unless your mail client is from the 80s.
Guess that's the point --- I want to use POP on my mac. iPhone I don't really care, as long as all recent messages still download on the mac.
Don't you find IMAP slow and clunky?
Not at all, no. Never, ever had a problem, but always had to be cognizant of how I was using my email before I learned about IMAP. POP is super-old and known to be clunky and too big for it's britches. If you want syncing across devices then IMAP is the way to go. Keeping POP in the equation in any respect is to use it in a way for which it was never designed.
Again, I think your problem is probably with the client or your settings.
k thanks -- will give IMAP another go.
if you use pop on anything, the others wont sync.
Use the exchange account on the iphone, that way you'll have push Gmail.
this shows you how to do it:
- Gmail has push, why use Exchange?Ruffian
- Is this any different?Ruffian
- if you use the regular Gmail IMAP, there's no push.ESKEMA
- What's this then? http://i.imgur.com/t… I don't get it :)Ruffian
- Ruffian, gmail doesn't support push, so your settings will only use fetch unless using eskema's linksilentpost
- I see, how do I get it to work with Google Apps account?Ruffian
- Had no idea gmail didn't offer push. Got it working with Apps too. Cheers!Ruffian