- Last post
- 32 Responses
Prove my point.
I'm doing research, and I'm realising that as smartphones converge on being the thinnest piece of glass (ie a touchscreen) they all start to look the same. there's no where near as much variety as there used to be with the design handsets.
Also, as more and more phone companies take up Android, will that mean the UI looks similar too. in which case what will be left to make each company stand out from eachother?
will we be left with a case like what happened with Windows and PCs where the only thing people bought was the windows OS and the box it came in was generic: compaq, gateway, dell etc.
Even the iphone design is becoming more generic looking, from a distance it looks like any other, especially one people put their rubber cover over it.
i'd appreciate any photos or images of UIs etc that kind of prove this point. or just your point of view of where this stuff is headed
Just like most cars made today, plain and boring
- most of those are not smartphones.. it's hilarious how you fanboys always try to skew the reality.. I don't know if that's like just brainwashing or what..Boz
- like just brainwashing or what..Boz
- I guess that's what happens when you live in a bubble and don't really look outside what you want to see.Boz
- don't be a fucking retard, you know full well smartphones used to look different before the iphoneanimatedgif
- iPhone = slick take on a PDA appearance. Not hugely unique.orrinward
- Granted there are some heavy clones, but iPhone was not revolutionary. You just found out about that one.orrinward
Is it a bad thing? Obviously there is a best and most logical design and that is the way they are all heading. No way do I want variation simply for the point of variation.
Set. I don't believe there is such as thing as a 'best and most logical design' otherwise there wouldn't be such a variety of car design or range of architectural styles etc etc.
what I'm interested in, is from the point of view of a phone manufacturer like nokia or sony ericsson or motorola, what is there now to differentiate you from eachother and from the iphone, other than OS and possibly product design. none seem to stand for anything before.
Nokia used to be the 'easy to use' phone, with the best UI (back when screens were monochrome). then they got left behind once the iphone came along. suddenly it's not about having expertise in phone manufacture, smartphone are essentially small computers, so now the computer guys are leading the game: apple, google, etc.
In my opinion there absolutely and unquestionably is a best and most logical design. UI design is a different matter.
best and most logical design for who though? each generation wants and expects different things. An ideal design 10 years ago would not be relevant now. as the technology moves forward, the form does too.
iPhone is clearly a California design, try picking up the phone outside on a snowy winter day...
flip phones were good, you knew you couldnt accidently phone people from your pocket with a phone like this.
Not a smart phone (only had 2 lines of characters onscreen at a time), but a great "little" phone from Sony. One of the favourites i've owned, it was a bout the size of 2 boxes of matches.
would be amazing if smart phones got this teeny. rather than being large and thin.
I disagree.. the phones are using a much bigger surface now because it's using touch screen for interaction but there is still variety in design and it's getting better and better due to diversity of manufacturers..
It started off with a simple idea.. big screen, touch.. that's what users wanted..
but now you can see that Android phones are looking wildly different that are coming out soon
Dual screen phones:
3D display and slide out keyboard Android phones:
As always, some people are saying that everyone is copying Apple.. this is not true at all.. it's just that the nature of touchscreen simply forces design to put the screen in the first place..
during the 2000s smartphones look thicker and had smaller screens because technology really wasn't advanced enough.. but even prior to iphone.. old Smartphones actually looked more like Android phones today.. So you can say Apple copied them and took out the buttons
It's a natural evolution.. Apple just capitalized on dumping the pen and using your finger first..
Other than that.. Android phones are really improved versions of previous smartphones before iPhone.
- other than the gaming one which serves a dif purpose, all of these look stupid and pointless compared to an iphone.set
- yeah I don't think an Apple fan would say anything different. It's all pointless until Apple makes it.Boz
- and that was not the point of the post.. it simply shows there's a variety in design of the phones and they don't look like iPhones.Boz
- and believe it or not many people actually prefer a physical keyboard.. I know.. it's a shocker to you.Boz
- of fuck off with your black & white apple fan/non apple fan cuntiness.set
- that's how you sound.. your post was stupid as shit..Boz
- why waste space with a keyboard when it can be used as a keyboard OR extra screen space...set
- your reasoning is dated.set
- your reasoning is limited by Apple bias.. iPhone is the jesus phone and everyone else who uses a real keyboard or anything different is pointless..Boz
- anything different is pointless.. Which is absurd by itself and really doesn't need any other comment.. It's just stupid.Boz
- You are missing the point completely, I won't waste time discussing this with such a retard.set
- and it's called diversity.. I don't want 1 fucking phone.. I want variety and if there's a phone with dual screen all the better. Someone wants it. But I guess your brain can't compute that.Boz
- Someone wants it. But I guess your brain can't compute that. ANd this dual screen phone just got on Engadget 8/10 review.. Which just shows your opinion even more stupid.Boz
- Which just shows your opinion even more stupid.Boz
- And set.. read the review and see why dual screens can make your phone so much more productive.. there's a video too
It's actually pretty great.. you can browse the web and type an email at the same time..totally pointless right?Boz
- an email at the same time..totally pointless right?Boz
- oh bozzy bozzy just stfu son.set
- these phones look clunky. too many parts for things to go wrong with.spifflink
I wish mobile phone designers would get a flipping clue and stop making ugly phones and give us the likes of iida from japan:
or if iida could make thoses phones for the european market it'd be even better. They had Towa Tei write music for their TV advert before. That is cooler than the iphone!!!!
with phones now capable of displaying apps, movies and websites, unobstructed screen real eastate is the most important thing. With full size touch screens and no buttons, there's no external features left to design - hence the fact they're all nearly identical.