- Last post
- 16 Responses
No way, source?
No, really? Fuck.
Plus hundreds of tweets of many UFC fighters... So bad.
From ghetto fighting to UFC...
He was a nut. I remember the backyard fight videos that got him notoriety.
fuck... 42 :(
sad. was he not in shape or did he have an undisclosed health issue?
A local Chicago news station referred to him as an MMA pioneer in their online article. Does anyone here find that valid, or completely disagree with that label like I do?
- several articles state that
- Definitely not an MMA pioneer. He's a street-brawling social-media pioneer. He definitely did that. failed as an MMA fighter.sofakingback
- or is he a pioneer because he went from street fighting to pro mma fighter? Is that it?sofakingback
- Correction, he was "good" at street fighting. Kicked a few asses on video and the internet made him famous. That got him into the UFC.Maaku
- Correction to what? Him being a pioneer? Im confused. I think thats what I said, he was famous for street brawling on social media, which took him to the UFCsofakingback
- Correction to the pioneer comment on the media, lol. relax :)Maaku
- This particular outlet, WGN, has mediocre writers who can't even proofread their own work. They even have a "Suggest a correction" linkmg33
- at the bottom of their articles so that readers can do the proofing and editing for them.mg33
- So it's no surprise that they're jumping on a hype train for a story. They do it all the time.mg33
- What's funny is that if you look up "MMA pioneers," you don't see him mentioned.mg33
- Anytime I hear the word "pioneer", my ass twitches. So abused. Subjective crap.drake-von-drake
- several articles state that
who gives a shit? seriously.
- ^these people i guesshans_glib
- the internetApeRobot
- You prove to yourself every time you make this sort of comment in a RIP thread just how worldy and developed you are, cygnus. One day I hope to be like you.detritus
- did you fucking know the guy? nope! grow a pairCygnusZero4
- hilarious given you've started RIP threads yourself. go back to asking for help with every digital problem you have and mastubating to video games Cygnusimbecile
- seems to me that if you didn't give a shit you wouldn't have clicked on the thread or posted in itterry_cloth
- PRECISELY. Agreed again.drake-von-drake
I used to be much more into the UFC in the mid 2000s. The "Kimbo Slice as MMA pioneer" line is confusing, because he really didn't even start training in MMA specifically until the mid 2000s, 2005 to be exact with his debut fight in 2007.
By 2007, the UFC was already on event 84. True MMA pioneers - the guys who mixed multiple fighting styles together, had mostly come and gone. I realize MMA wasn't exclusive to the UFC, there were tons of organizations and still are. Just because Kimbo was there at the right time when MMA's mainstream popularity was really taking off, doesn't make him a pioneer.
This is more a case of lackluster journalists under the gun to get articles out not knowing what they're talking about. If they'd used the word "icon" and applied it more to street fighting and backyard brawling that preceded his professional career, then they'd be on the right track.
- oh man he came way after mma took off. if anything he gave it a little bit of life when the heavyweight was dead. a couple years after Couture and Liddel.sofakingback
- I will say he was the only fighter I know that was popular for youtube street fighting. and not many UFC guys are straight up street guys. So that was uniquesofakingback
- Kinda reminded me of tank abbottsofakingback
- Emphasis on "little bit." It was cool to see him in organized fights for sure. But the guys who made it what it is were already out or nearing retirement.mg33
- It was definitely unique. I think one piece that's important here is when "MMA" as an actual fighting style started.mg33
- Because in the early days you had guys that excelled at one discipline (a boxer vs. a karate guy, for example) and later you had guys developing and trainingmg33
- in hybrids of multiple disciplines. Good in standup, good on the ground, morphing styles into something new.mg33
- Yea man, Pride was the fucking best. Do you remember the tournament that had all the heavy hitters? Fuck what was it. Im gonna dig for it.sofakingback
- Alister Overeem was the guy I was rooting for but he got handled.sofakingback
- I got really into it around the time of the first Ultimate Fighter tv show. Used to obsess over it. I'd love to know what it's like to be in that kind of shapemg33
- and mental mindset. So many great fights over the years.mg33
- Pride Final Conflit. Those were the days. https://en.wikipedia…sofakingback
Somewhat ironically, cygnuszero4 is possibly one of the biggest posters of 'RIP..' threads here on QBN, yet insists on shitting on those posted by others that he clearly doesn't have any connection with.
What a guy!
- Flag that fucker.
Give him a strike.aiapaec
- ^ youre obviously a little girl. waaaaaa come flag him! babyCygnusZero4
- please tell me you knew kimbo slice. if you didnt, ya kinda look like a princess saying this is sad lmaoCygnusZero4
- i think this kid just said he had a connection with KIMBO SLICE bahahahahahahahaha i seriously cant with these moronsCygnusZero4
- Wat? I was gonna try and explain it to you but then I remembered this:
- cygnus. did you know Gary Shandling? or dave mirra?kona
- Flag that fucker.
all the guys kimbo fought in those world star videos had no idea how to fight, when you look at how kimbo moves he definitely had some boxing in him and it was kind of painful watch him take people apart the way he did. he was outclassed in the ufc and belator etc. and he knew it but the fans loved it and he made a ton of money so good for him. i don't know about pioneer but he certainly made it to the big time from bare knuckling in peoples back yards and for that he deserves a ton of respect, he was one tough dude. rip kimbo slice
- RIP Kevin Ferguson.aiapaec
- lol, how dare you speak his slave name, i will settle for nothing less than a full blown internet bickering showdownterry_cloth
- one tough dude but no match for steroidsrobotron3k
- juice is dangerous stuffterry_cloth
- Lol at terry_cloth. First comment hahadrake-von-drake
he was a straight up brawler
never heard of him