- Last post
- 8 Responses
a friend messaged me asking if i could do a website for him, presumably to showcase his portfolio of one-off fashion pieces and to sell pieces he's producing. i want him to be able to manage his content himself so i don't have to do it for him. he should be able to categorize his work and mark some pieces as "for sale", then handle payment transactions for them. maybe it has some kind of blog/announcements thing built-in.
before i answer i want to estimate how hard/time-consuming this would be– what's hot in the store/cms world right now? what should i be looking at? anything i should avoid? tips?
i haven't built a website in like a decade so any direction would be helpful!
Big Cartel + Theme It Out?
- this... search for themes w/Big Cartel built-in... something like: https://themefiend.c…PonyBoy
- Yeah, perf. Buy a template that's as close to the look + function as possible then simply tweak out CSS. This way you're ~85% done out of the gate.prophetone
- yasss. exactly the sort of approach i'm looking for. i want to focus on the art direction while using a backend that's developed and provenscarabin
- sounds like a win-win situation!sureshot
- Shopify has way better back-end but Big Cartel is probably the simplest option - just the themes aren't that great.fadein11
I build out custom sites but haven't built out an ecomm site for a looong time - imo quick and dirty for me now would be a service like BC and just whip it into shape with my look/feel. I imagine others will have better suggestions tho.
Tictail + some blogging thing
Wordpress and woocommerce is easy enough. Shitloads of themes out there too.
- < I wouldn't suggest that for scarabin, those are what I set up, but scar hasn't made a website in a decade he saidmoldero
- I wood suggest something hosted by an e-com site, like shopify or something (less maintenance), I dont use those so Im just kind of keeping out of it myself :)moldero
squarespace is decent too
+1 BigCartel for small/basic stuff.
Woocommerce or Shopify - Big Cartel is like a bad version of Shopify. In fact if you/he wants to save time don't go down the Woo road and just use Shopify - but it's a monthly subscription as opposed to self hosted.
wordpress hands down..
ill make it...for a price