- Last post
- 6 Responses
Last week I got hired by a company for a full-time remote design job. They just sent me the offer.
It's the base salary that I asked plus medical, dental, life insurance, disability and 401K plan.
As you may know I live in Turkey and I don't have plans to move to USA yet.
Should I ask them to remove these benefits and if possible increase the salary?
How much does all this insurance cost them per year per worker you guys think?
I mean if they are paying an extra 20k per year, they can just give that to me instead of the insurance companies.
What's the worst that could happen?
In your shoes I would ask for higher salary instead, and here's why:
The chances are — if it's a US-based company — none of the benefits would apply for a resident of Turkey, in the sense that their providers might actually disqualify you because you're not a US national or living on US soil.
Also, can foreigners living abroad hold 401ks? I don't know, but I have my doubts.
GET THE MONEYS.
- I have a legal work permit. Green CardBeeswax
- I'll pay taxes to USA for thisBeeswax
- Hm, OK. The 401k could be useful, then.Continuity
- How does 401k work? I dont get itBeeswax
- Are they going to add some funds for me or I will ask some amount to be deducted from the salary?Beeswax
- No clue, I'm not American ... but I assume it's a shared contribution thingy.Continuity
- 401k is a retirement savings plan. often you contribute and your employer matches a percentage.capn_ron
- 401Ks are going down the toilet right now.CyBrainX
I just did this with my employer. I split the difference of insurance cost with them and we both win. Made the conversation real easy.
Ask for the extra cash, the worst thing that could happen is that they say no. Good luck with your negotiations:)
I did this at my last job (I lived in NYC at the time, and my wife had fantastic insurance for both of us through the CUNY system).
Declining insurance got me a gross increase of $7,500 iirc. I'd say go for it, and good luck!
Congratulations by the way. I'm glad to hear people are still hiring.
- Thanks. It was a surprise to me too. Had applied in december.Beeswax
- So 401k savings, why do they go down the toilet now? What are they invested in?Beeswax
- Actually, now would be a could time to start a 401 - the employer matches your contribution - it’s a no brainerGnash
- But only if you can use it in the end. Otherwise ask for the 5% (or whatever they match) in cashGnash
- I guess you can start a 401k and not put it in a fund(?). The market is going to hell.CyBrainX