- Last post
- 30 Responses
I think it is very clear to everybody where we are now.
But, what can be done, where and what are the mistakes?
What's the future with the experiences we all have?
Maybe new ideas and solutions?
Letting just any idiot have an equal platform is obviously a mistake.
- I disagree. I think it’s the beauty of the whole thing. No, it’s the entire point of it. Sorry man.monospaced
- The beauty of disinfo, mass manipulation, cancel culture, conspiracy theories, and fomenting anti-democratic coups. "Sorry man." Lol.i_monk
- More and more I find myself agreeing with mono, respect.IRNlun6
- Social media is a tool mono, careful not to conflate it with free speech. Just because you CAN say anything doesn't mean you're owed a microphone.ben_
- One mans idiot is another mans philosopher.Chimp
This guy is getting a bit annoying and smart-assy lately but there’s a bit of truth in it.
- He’s kind of a teumptard.monospaced
- yeah this guy's annoying.
free speech is: our government sucks
not: let's say all kinds of bullshit to inspire violence and put people in danger_niko
- also, you making money on youtube shouldn't be equated to free speech ie I can say whatever ludicrous thing i can think of as long as people watch my shit_niko
- ...especially when what you say puts people's health or lives in danger._niko
- nothing said directly puts health and lives in danger. everyone is responsible for their own actions.cannonball1978
- also no free speech is govt stuff plus everything elsecannonball1978
- omg. what happened to aphex twin?sandpipe
- "You still think?"Chimp
one of my thoughts goes in the direction of social in social media. there are severe problems in our society that just get immensely amplified my the medium.
just love qbn and think about this every time you want to rage against the moderator or demand banning somebody, now i want you to think again on a global scale. right after that think about how this can be signed into a law (we are still thinking on the global scale), and how that law can be executed on an infrastructure what was built to support human expression in addition to a lot of other things.
Censorship "works for us" when its Trump.
But censoring Bernie 4 years ago is also what gave us Trump.
- I dunno how true this really is. Yes some working class people voted for Trump but the only income group he won was $100k+yuekit
- Trump was only censored for his lies and danger. Bernie was just ignored.monospaced
- lol okGuyFawkes
- Trump wasn’t censored either.monospaced
- So banning trump isnt censoring him. Ok dude.GuyFawkes
- Read your last 2 comments back and ask yourself if anyone should take your words seriously.GuyFawkes
- Thats the problem with know it allsGuyFawkes
- If you look at who Trump supporters are they are mostly extremely partisan conservatives. People who read Breitbart and stuff like that.yuekit
- The crossover with Bernie supporters was never that significant. You weren’t going to appease the Trump people by giving them universal healthcare, in factyuekit
- most of them would be out of the streets protesting this as a communist takeover. Which is not to say the needs of the working class in the USA haven’t beenyuekit
- neglected by the ruling class, just that you can’t draw such a clear line between these things.yuekit
- Kicking him off social media is not censorship.monospaced
It's like this because nobody bothered to write a "manual for the Internet" and everybody is doing whatever they like/want rn - users and companies alike
WWW means more Wild Wild West than Web
but overall social media is a looking glass for society more or less, so when we achieve online nirvana, will practically transform our offline society too; rn we're in the "reverse zone" as in anonymous people are worse online than offline - I mean even QBN is a good slice of that (just like now with Trump, QBN tolerated many years the likes of bobo and others like that); so when we learn to behave online, we'll be good offline too.
solutions: more education ofc and even re-education for some
All elected politicians should have their accounts frozen for the duration of their time in office. He's probably the worst offender but the problem goes way beyond Trump. We were fucked as soon as politics moved onto Twitter and political journalism followed. Remove all of the politicians. Platforms could genuinely claim to be impartial and be absolved of the responsibility of having to police them.
- there should also be some recognition of the fact that users supply all of the monetised content for free and should be paid somehow, maybe as a taxFax_Benson
- fyi Facebook gets $2 value from each user nowgrafician
- < see, if we do regulation this way everything will be fine.sted
It’s not giving people a platform that’s the problem. It’s when the social media platform becomes too powerful. When nation states are able to exploit social platforms to destabilize an entire country, that’s too big.
The simple answer is that tech must be broken up so that free markets can keep them from becoming exploitable vulnerabilities. If there’s competition of platforms it will be harder to misinform masses. Likewise it will be harder amass a trove of data that makes technocrats gods. You won’t here Trump acolytes fight that.
Further we must evolve from the defensive posture of fighting for data privacy and instead invent and regulate new means of data ownership. I suggest modernizing copyright and patent law.
Amazon has to break up it’s data and consumer products.
Alphabet must be broken apart.
Facebook should be separated from Instagram and what’s app.
- Fb is a nation state itself. It captures a large % of all human speech. That’s problematic, and Zucks ego is too.jtb26
- Disagreed. Breaking up all USA's big tech companies would be a mess and push investment in tech offshore.inteliboy
- Mergers should be held under far more scrutiny though. The fact that Facebook ate up instagram so easily was a joke.inteliboy
- You could be right. They should all be more heavily regulated and fined fbybthe FTC at minimum for some of the behavior. It happened to MS and they’ve been finejtb26
Amazon Is Booting Parler Off Of Its Web Hosting Service: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/art…
Getting a bit ridiculous.
- Ridiculous why? 4 people are dead from an attempted coup. In the USA. Think about that.inteliboy
- Almost at 400k dead from COVID due to misinformation.inteliboy
- This is not about hurt feelings and politics, but protecting human life and keeping a democratic society from falling apart.inteliboy
- Parler is just a service. Like twitter. Look how many isis terrorists were or still are on twitter and twitter didn’t get pulled off the web.NBQ00
- the only thing i'd say about parler is its sole existence is to provide a sounding board. right wing fascist conspiratory lunatics._niko
- so we saw tons of nazis on tv as kids, tons of KKK members on tv, talk shows etc but there was never the Nazi network or White power channel or KKK TV_niko
- all this cleaning house does is remind me of communist era purges.renderedred
- yeah, sure, there are also other bad people still on twitter. why is this even an argument?inteliboy
- like a 5 year old going "yeah but...!"inteliboy
- These companies don't want to be associated. Makes sense to me.dbloc
Do we consider QBN social media?
we post all kinds of shit, some extremely distasteful some extremely useful, the good far outweighs the bad, and members that get out of line get booted and I think for the most part justifiably so.
I don't think QBN should suffer because of the thoughts or actions of a few.
- oh shit i started off thinking i was disagreeing with NBQ00 but it turns out i proved his point lol_niko
- qbn is a little private forum. that's how i see it.renderedred
- QBN is an idea.palimpsest
- QBN is not private lol, it's even indexed by googlegrafician
- OK, chief.palimpsest
- I don't see why it wouldn't be considered social media.CyBrainX
- yes.....but a teeny tiny one. aren't there like, 1000 people in QBN?dkoblesky
- it‘s a newssite...with a funky new 3letter name.uan
- yes. but only qbnpro members have access to private messaging.sted
- All media is socialde4k
- QBN Stories?!grafician
- here is your qtok chimp:
I posted about Marshall McLuhan not too long ago, mostly because I think it's easier to understand the modern world by way of his thoughts.
While he talked a lot about mediums and their messages, I think social media has to do more with his theories regarding news and publishing in America.
Basically, advertising in America is good news. It can be kind of a lie, but it is what is new and it is always a good thing. The balance to this in media is naturally bad news - so thus in the world of broadcast and publishing, often the news is bad to offset the goodness found in the solutions of consumerism.
When we get to social media - where now people and not stories become the products - the natural evolution is people take the form of the news or the advertisements. You can see this in TikTok now, or earlier social networks before they were massive and corporate, where people are putting opinions or messaging into their content. They are serving as an ad to the world - like videos where it's something funny or cute and then someone warns about global warming.
Social media is an active work in progress by people against a controlled and overzealous form of oppression in the institutional media sphere. However, the more media companies are just bought up by monopolies, the more extreme all of this is going to get in terms of searching for someone that will just tell the truth and not sell out about it.
I dunno, people talk about Facebook like it's this pillar, but that shit is only ten years old. You can bet if it wasn't propped up by Wall Street investors who don't want to lose a fuck ton of money, it would be long since abandoned. It's like a hot potato, or Sears in 1997.
- aka, like everything, right now larger structures and their finances are the issue. this will all be chaos until the bigger problems are dealt with.colin_s
- and we're slowly becoming robots, or likely less humanist, in the process.colin_s
- we talk about Facebook as the first mass self-marketing tool in the user contributed content era of the internets.sted
- “Advertising is good news” lolol wtf nonsensenb
- Makes perfect sense to me. It's all happy people and aspirational lifestyles. Never child molesters and school shootings.monNom
Experts in the houuuuuuse