- Last post
- 15 Responses
There Will Be No Natural Snow At The Winter Olympics In Beijing
- Holy shit! Have you ever skiied on “fake” snow? It’s very different. This will probably affect the athletes.nb
- Snow made in China...grafician
- fake snow is the worst...pango
- Winter Olympics given to a place with no snow. FIFA World Cup to a country with no football stadiums. WTF is going on in the world?!Hayzilla
- we have twitter/internet and it‘s impossible to keep those secrets secret.uan
- No need to worry, the snow is on the blockchain.palimpsest
- Surprised they gave China another chance after the last one.monospaced
- Snow - Informerbabydick
- It's just like snowboarding in Southern California.dbloc
- Shaun White will have the upper handdbloc
- Dumbest shit ever! How are world class athletes supposed to perform on a subpar surface?davey_g
- "given to a place with no snow"
You think China has no snow?pango
- "Surprised they gave China another chance"
I thought it's a bidding process.pango
I've seen these fake snow resorts/facilities in China.
Driving in China, middle of nowhere, see these signs for snowboarding and skiing. It's winter and it's cold but it's sunny as fuck and there's certainly no snow around here.
The signs continue until there's one giving directions off to the right. I look over to see this large hill on an otherwise relatively flat dry landscape. And one whole side of the hill is covered, COVERED in snow!
Was crazy impressive.
Yeah fake snow is impressive but if you’ve ever skied on it, you know it’s more of an icy, flaky feeling. Different traction, different give. I guess the athletes will get to test some before the main events.
But if I spent my life trying to get a world record I’d be a disappointed to have to shoot my shot on man-made snow
- They always compete on compacted snow, during the off season they train on glaciers which are basically ice. Athletes want the hard snow because you can carvezarkonite
- harder and slide faster. They scrape the slopes at the Olympic park when it snows to remove the loose stuff, this is a nothing burger of a news.zarkonite
- I will admit I don’t really know what I’m talking about. But I’ve skied on slopes with a real base and made man on top and it suuuucks. But I’m no athlete.nb
- Totally, boarding or skiing for fun is waaaaay better on real snow. I only go when there's fresh powder, I can't even stand to go through other people's tracks.zarkonite
or it‘s just in line with the astroturf they used in tokyo during the summer olympics.
it‘s the ‚future‘ we are running into.
"Beijing has promised that all competition venues will be covered with "high-quality snow", despite the city only having a few days of snow in recent years. Yanqing, the site of the ski centre, only receives an average of 21cm (just over eight inches) a year of snowfall."
The previous headline was mistranslated, but no worries we managed to get the right one with a video.
Beijing has promised that all competition participants will be covered with "high-quality snow"
what moron decided Beijing was a good city for the Winter Olympics?
- for a second I though the guy far left had an artificial arm.dbloc
- Well they probably are just a group of dads trying to get away from their families for the weekend and all have regular day jobs.de4k
- I can Totally see this, it’s a movie starring Ed hrlms_niko
- @Niko, the studios are all already fighting for it.toemaas