- Last post
- 9 Responses
what is the consensus for a decent 27" display for a Mac?
Dell ultra sharp? I'm doing 95% online work so colour accuracy is nice but not a must. $500 range I'm thinking.
There’s a thread for that
After having the Apple Studio Display, I returned it for the Dell Ultrasharp U2723QE and I’m much happier with it
The thing is, 5k is native to the OS. The old Thunderbolt displays were 2560x1440, which I think were also native.
I haven't worked with a 4k monitor on a Mac, but some say they can see the difference between 4k and 5k.
I have the Studio and Monitor to replace my 5k iMac, pretty happy with it.
- money bagsshapesalad
- 4k = crush your GPU due to scaling.shapesalad
- A designer’s eye can see the difference between 4k and 5k (at 27inch) but it’s a subtle difference.nb
- If there was a truly matte 5k 27 inch monitor I would buy it 2x the price. It does not exist.nb
- If there was a matte 4.5K at 24 inch, I would buy that.nb
- bare in mind the difference between center bad zone for 27"s and fringe bad zone is just the relationship between dots and the physical size of the monitorkingsteven
- the rest of this article is good but this chart seems like an unnecessary addendum based on wiki PPI data (not testing) my 27" arguably crisper than my 32"kingsteven
- I can’t even run a 27” at full res it’s too detailed. This chart is BSmonospaced
- Get 4k and you’ll be fine!monospaced
- This chart ignores the simple fact that a 27in 4k 3840x2160 monitor looks waaaaay sharper than a 27in at 2560x1440. They’re not even closenb
- Also they put a Dell P-series monitor on this list? Lol come on nownb
- This chart prioritizes avoiding scaling above all else, ignoring what you actually experience on the screen. It’s a metric few people would care about or noticenb
- yep, @mono their argument is basically that 27" is shit for non-retina so a 32" the same resolution is better. 32" non-retina is insane.kingsteven
- yep @nb i have a 10 y/o 1080p monitor i use for my camera and it has a similar PPI to my 32" at 4k so to suggest that as a solution to something that isn't akingsteven
- 99.9% will never notice is kinda wild.kingsteven
- well i care, I don't want to waste gpu on scaling issues.shapesalad
- well.. it's all a mess. and most of these monitors are big ass black plastic ugly things. Can apple just make the last 27" iMac as monitor and sell it for $500?shapesalad
- yeah, 5k is obviously better. its just the basis for comparison of 4k on this graphic is flawed. i'd like to see apple let apps draw at the native resolutionkingsteven
- more than i'd like to see more 5k monitors. if photography apps were able (as Adobe has complained about in the past) i don't think this would be an issuekingsteven