- Last post
- 11 Responses
Ok this is already helping me.
The small text - is too small already to read unless up close to the poster.
However it's fill all the space.
You might as well make the text smaller and give the layout some 'white' space for the eye to move around and navigate the layout.
When you eye is faced with a wall of text, per your layout, it's harder to navigate. Think about this - reading a dense block of text in a book - easy to lose the line you are on. Compared to a magazine layout, with a column of text in a big empty page.
Giving more white or negative space around the text at the bottom, by making the too small to read text a little bit smaller, while help make things like 'find out more' pop off the page.
And you don't need to say find out more, we get that when we see a url, that's where we will go to find out more. Probably better to make a QR code for that.
WEEKEND ROLLING 'FROM CAPITOL MALL TO' OLD SACRAMENTO
^ Weird layout there. You want the sentence to start at 'From Capitol' and continue with 'old sacra...' yet you want the view to ignore the layout rule for the 'weekend rolling'.
Don't change the rules for the layout that you are expecting the user to navigate.
Also make the 'Saturday' and the 'february 18' slightly smaller so they stand out more, currently getting lost behind the illustration.
You don't need the , after February and before 18.
Darken the background so it's a bit more 3D
Love the illustration and type. It just gets a bit messy at the bottom. The "find out more" type doesn't quite look like it belongs.
I don't like the line break on:
I can change the order of the words, but then it'll say:
Capitol Mall to Old Sacramento. President's Day Weekend
dis or dat?
- maybe soften the white of the text down below so it's more like the banner above?sarahfailin
- i still don't really know how to deal with the "2023"sarahfailin
- make it smaller, the 2023. otherwise all looks good.shapesalad
- if the banner background was white instead of grey, I think it would work better. Looks great noiw!mort_
- you could even go for a pink background. have you thought about doing that?milfhunter
- The jester character gets lost in the muddied details. Needs better silhouetting. Maybe fade the purple rays behind with a dissolve....monNom
- Maybe make the tree canopy in a yellow tone. That will help set apart the different elements in the composition.monNom
- Type in the banner could be improved. Main banner has unequal spacing top and bottom. Ampersand feels like it could be separated and made as a cool stand alonemonNom
- In the position of the 2023. Maybe intertwined with the ribbons? 2023 could be below the Mardi Gras bit.monNom
- The ribbon could be continuous and loop back and forth between the lines in sort of an art nouveau style. That will complement the twisty organic bordermonNom
- The background needs a dim job, your jester needs pop, not camo.garbage
- Great edits. I love the way 'Rolls from' reads right and down. Good work, @sarahfailin!Nairn
- ooh, hold on. lol, sorry - 'Rolls from' and the time aren't aligned
- 'rolling from', eedjitNairn
make that 2023 white and bold and make it a binding element of the title banners (who need to be white).
Also make that tree vertically smaller (it takes way to much space and is already prominent in the frame. and free up space for the protagonist (which is the interesting bit of the brand).
didn't we do this last year already?
also...put on matching socks while working on it, this should help.
- Last years version:
- I was thinking sarahfailin should post the individual elements so the the people of QBN can have a go at it.palimpsest
- In a year we'll be discussing prompt optimizations around the theme.uan
- it's an annual event! but yeah you guys helped a lot with the poster last year.sarahfailin
- Last years version:
Looks great mate. Bunch of nit-pickers now.
I felt the same way about the jester disappearing into the background. Thing is, this is a real watercolor painting! there basically aren't individual elements other than the text. Even the banner is real ink and watercolor. I could magnetic lasso the jester out and adjust her colors, but I'll probably leave it... the other changes to the art simply won't happen :) sorry guys!
I'll experiment with a couple different background colors since that's easy but I'm going to call this one close to done!
Once again, thanks for helping this amateur avoid simple mistakes in my work. I do this as a volunteer, so please know that no money will be made by me off your backs.
"If I have seen farther, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants." ;)