- Last post
- 30 Responses
At the Mountains of Madness is super similar to The Thing.
- Such a good video, nice find Phanlo.utopian
- Interesting on many levels. Essentially mankind can't wrap their minds around the genre.utopian
- Ah no probs man, I find it quite fascinating, been getting some good recommends recently. :-)PhanLo
- Not many have the great gifts of a rich inner life, the inner voice, great visualisation powers and imagination - so poor those of us are...grafician
- Nice find. I am going to have to watch Bird Box.lemmy_k
- it is so hard to get right. read a lot of magical realism / cosmic horror and most of the time (even from authors i love) it just doesn't click...kingsteven
- been working my way through Thomas Ligotti's books for the last year or so and it has been incredible, anxious that i will soon run outkingsteven
- This is interesting because I found contact, interstellar, the Martian and even gravity quite horrific._niko
- I write a bit of thiscannonball1978
Tentacle porn for adults
Easily a top 5 for me:
He was a hack tabloid writer whose personal cosmic horror was being an unfuckable racist worm that lived in his mother's attic. The real horror is his shit prose.
Doubt me, or read his wonderful poem, "On the Creation of N*ggers".
Or read about his support of the KKK lynching people in the south because he thought Southerners were right to use "extra-legal" measures to prevent proliferation of non-whites and, as he termed it, "mongrelization" of the human race.
Or all of his whining about Jewish people, or the time he said of Hitler "I know he's a clown, but I like the boy!"
No doubt that he helped start a genre, but thankfully more talented and respectable people overtook his ideas and expressed them beyond his capabilities.
- he was an absolute C word... and you're 100% spot on with everything you wrotenecromation
- Agreed. Fuck that ugly cuntbabydick
- Necromotion - you're a Londoner. Of all the people in the world, you're amongst the few who should write the C-word out in full without any judgment.Nairn
- tho, i spose it has more power, not incantedNairn
There, I said it.palimpsest
- ^wrong postdyspl
- my daughter loves jacob's cream crackers and i get no end of joy putting on a likely-unPC southern drawl and offering "Hey lil cracker, wanna cracker?"Nairn
- I agree with everything you say.PhanLo
- Yes. Creepy arrogant overrated blob.MrT
- Phyllis stays.garbage
- "but thankfully more talented and respectable people overtook his ideas"
- The big duh answer is Stephen King. The longer answer is the anthologies of comics, books, movies and videogames that draw from the Cthulhu Mythos.garbage
- Nairn, forgive me mate lolnecromation
- King is not comparable to Lovecraft, King is commercial TV compared to Lovecraft.i_was
- "movies and videogames that draw from the Cthulhu Mythos"
That draw from Lovecraft himselfi_was
- “Lovecraft. . . opened the way for me,” writes Kingi_was
- Shut your stupid mouth garbage.i_was
- my hero better than your hero!pango
- Tolkien was a cuddly little racist old man too, as I've pointed out on here before. I still like the Hobbit and LOTR and all the things those books inspired.PhanLo
- Tolkien was a racist now, eh. Smacks of hyper liberal post post-hoc absolutist revisionism. ie. made up bullshit.Nairn
- 'On the creation of N-' truly is though terrible, lol.Nairn
- I think you're right Nairn, I had always thought that Tolkien, based the Orcs on his experiences fighting in WW1 based the orcs on his enemy.PhanLo
- Had a look online and seems I was wrong, seems he even wrote to his German publishers to say he wasn't Jewish, but wished he was in response to them...PhanLo
- ...asking he was aryan.PhanLo
- Tolkien is a more complicated case, because his massive self-edits were fueled by his constant re-evaluation of his morals. Samwise is the hero, don't @me.garbage
- @i_was and HP wrote for tabloids because he was a really shit writer in peak high modernity. He really didn't have a way with word.garbage
- ^yes that's why King despises him, he's a shitty writer, not worth a penny.i_was
- Now you're not even trying. King thinks that HP's ideas pioneered modern horror, and King is worth half a billion. Try harder.garbage
Love his books, read his books then criticize, plebs.
- Read his books, read his bitch-and-moan letters to family, friends & editorial staff. Artistically, he was a laughing-stock which is why he wrote for tabloids.garbage
- People that hold him up as some sacred cow don't seem to realize that if he was the captain of the Lovecraft Lore ship, that shit would have run aground pronto.garbage
- also "plebs". What are you, 12 on Fortnite?garbage
- Same i was a huge fan in the 80's after coming across "From Beyond" and the classic "Re-Animator", so i started reading all his books... Until i started...necromation
- Finding out where his view came from and how he lived... What a sad cunt! One of the times the world wide web did me good.necromation
- What his view has to do with the good stuff he wrote? how he lived? Poe had a miserable life too if that's what you meani_was
- "Artistically, he was a laughing-stock which is why he wrote for tabloids."
He wrote for tabloïds because no one cared about his writings, Poe also wrote for...i_was
- tabloids, Lovecraft books are fine, I take Dagon read it and have lot of pleasure doing it, fucking period.i_was
- lol... How can you say what does his views matter? He's literally mocking the races, his language is LOADED with racist troupes, Its pretty hard to look...necromation
- pass that shit and take him serious.necromation
- Shit, if we quit admiring art from everyone that didn't live the perfect life, we'd be without art. Yeah, he was a miserable asshole, but he had some great...lemmy_k
- horror stories, so good, in fact, the type of horror is named after him.lemmy_k
- None of that justifies his views and how his very writing is the child of his racist paranoia. Fuck making excuse for shitty peoplenecromation
- @Necro Looking through the puritan lens of wokeness reveals EVERYTHING and EVERYONE to be problematic. Most adults can separate the man from his creations.Morning_star
- @morning_star Wokeness? i'm a fucking 47 year old black man. Why would i want to indulge the writings of a twat that wanted me hanged or saw me as subhuman.necromation
- I love that holding people accountable is "a puritan lens". There's a degree of separation of the artist from the art.garbage
- But he was comically awful, and that awfulness influenced all of his work. And he was also a shit writer. Sorry to shit on a Nazi golden calf.garbage
“Lovecraft. . . opened the way for me,” writes King, “as he had done for others before me.... it is his shadow, so long and gaunt, and his eyes, so dark and puritanical, which overlie almost all of the important horror fiction that has come since.”