- Last post
- 73 Responses
Me,I googled “fffffound invites” and the rest is history.
Ended up here because I worked on the same team as Mr_Alex, and he'd have this open all the time at work and I'd see it.
Serves me right, I suppose, for not minding my own business.
It was 20-odd years ago, like I can remember.
There was a standard list of design related websites which everyone visited
- Also thisContinuity
- stumbled across Newstoday and stayed for the rideGardener
- the dullest!nb
- Newstoday, K10K and yayhooray was all I knew back in the dayCalderone2000
- Worked with Jason and Folkert at Agency.com and they got me on newstoday and I have never left - still my home screenriteshpatel
- heavy rotation with computer lovedoesnotexist
QBN, K10K, PixelSurgeon, Design is Kinky....
Despite a much contested (by me at least) redesign in the '10s, QBN prevailed
- I’ve never visited any of thosenb
- Gotta say, the Newstoday welcoming chime was a distinguishing feature that made it specialspl33nidoru
- @nb Those are classic. Same with threeohContinuity
- These websites had a block somewhere on front page linking to the others.
There was a sense of community, and finding one ultimately led you to the others.spl33nidoru
- Surfstation, dreamless....drgs
- yayhooray, threeoh...koma_
I went to the Art School's Library I was attending and there was this guy checking Newstoday next to me and this happened several times.
And one day I did a collab for a magazine from Lisbon and the web designer of this magazine was also checking Newstoday. I was like hm...it looks good...a lot of stuff for my eyes but definitely good.
So I started to check regularly till I met kodap and he was the person who I got the click from that made me sign up.
This is my third or fourth account.
- Are you still in contact with Kodap?Nairn
- When I go to Portugal I see him when I visit the town he lives. Maybe I saw him 5 times in the last 5 years. That guy helped me a lot.oey_oey
- If he know my website is still not ready after 10 years he'll kill me.oey_oey
- He was/is a good bloke. Part of a group of users I still somewhat miss.Nairn
- As a person, he's really calm, reliable, helpful, simple and a really great guy that happens to be extremely talented.oey_oey
That is like remembering what outfit that you wore at your 21st birthday party.
- I don't remember if I had a party whatsoever.oey_oey
- A tight, wide collared shirt with stripes of purple, white and silver. Made by DKNY, purchased at an outlet mall.nb
- I only remember getting kicked out of a cab for throwing up out the window on my 21st Bday.fooler
- @nb how much did it cost?Krassy
I remember a cool red website. then it redirected to QBN.
or maybe someone on irc (I used to hang out in the undernet) told me about this forum on the www.
I liked it because it was well designed with the functionality in the 4 columns and had all this amazing content from designers who liked computers from all around the world. also the public voice was something new to me, I could ask stuff and get answers here.
a big chunk of my knowledge about computers and design came out of this site. there were not a lot of coder / designers around me irl at that time. I think I learned Illustrator from lifeinvector, asked a lot of AS2 questions and later AE questions here and always got better answers than my teachers had in design school.
- Weren’t lifeinvector and transfatty an item at one stage?mort_
- might be the case, they prob. dated or posted something about it in public voice.uan
- I also recall one night somebody was desperate or hungry and transfatty ordered a pizza for that person. that virtual community story blew my mind.uan
- Ha, sweet. What a gent!mort_
I think I searched for how to make a lens flare effect in photoshop or some kind of free PS filters and stumbled across NewsToday.
I was blown away by the community and the talent and have been here ever since.
Was following h73 (holodeck 73) and it morphed into or got acquired by news today
I had just come back from ‘Nam and was on my way to visit an old friend, when i was stopped and harassed by the local sherriff. He and his goons wrestled me back to the station, where one of them attempted to shave me with a safety razor ‘cause he didn’t like my hair. I lost it, unleashing my fury, fueled by the horrors i saw during my service, and the anger i felt for these simpleton fucks. Before I knew it it was a full-on manhunt. I ducked into a nearby forest where i used my hard-earned survival skills to pick them off one-by-one using various traps and strategies learned from the Vietnamese people. I narrowly escaped with my life, but at what cost?
some 11 or 12 years ago a dude at work that used to sit next to me used to have Pic of the Day always open and giggled like a stoned hamster from time to time
no idea though when or how I got my login
Back in the early internet days of 2002 ish, it was the done thing to put on your portfolio website, not just an About Page, Work, Contact page - but also a 'Links' page. Here you'd 'shout out' to your mates or favourite illustrators/designers and other such sites.
I'd spend many an evening getting lost in a rabbit hole of going through link pages to other link pages, stumbling across awesome portfolios and cool sites (back when there was no standard boring UI/UX rules and everyone went crazy with Flash).
And at some point someone must have linked to NewsToday. It was bookmarked and found to be *the* hub for the creative community. I remember promoting my portfolio website on there in that channel where you could post links to your stuff.
Then it change to QBN, and that white background has caused far too many late nights by keeping me awake with it's too bright white. When dark mode?
And my usual work routine is - when at that point where you know the next steps are going to be hard and you need to steel yourself to put something together - ah, just take a break and type 'qbn' in the browser. I never bookmarked and always type 'q' 'b' 'n', like a relfex.
Most the time I think, what a load of gutter trash and odd taste you lot have.. but sometimes the site is useful, or even inspiring.
Dunno, the story is probably lost somewhere in the 'signs you're getting old' thread. It was before NT, when there were a billion forum/link sites and Flash was king. So much fun back then, all design and dreams....the beautiful naivete of youth!
Did anyone else go to the newstoday mad mixer hosted by mediatemple in LA?
I think me joining had something to do with that night.
- Tell us about this wild night on the townnb
- I had just started college. Was there with a girl from one of my classes. Had my first ever gin and tonic (it was awful), snagged a bunch of (mt) stickersscarabin
- I met some folks i don’t remember, then we bounced to some thing at the standard. Nothing too excitingscarabin
- I was all set to go but I am basket case introvert... so all I have is a qbn newstoday t-shirt someone was selling b4 the event to remind me of me social anxiejonny_quest_lives
- remind me of my social anxiety.jonny_quest_lives
- wish i had snagged one! i think i got there latescarabin
- you didn't miss muchscarabin
- Awe man, I was there. One of my earliest memories of NT.ArmandoEstrada
Came for the design, stayed for the drama.
- 'stuck around for the PSBs and FMTs' in the middle there, and I'm done.Nairn
- Came for the design got addicted to the drama.Chimp
- Cue crushed blacks incidentjagara
- And shoeboxes.
And idea-nicking directors who did something for Forever21.
And my guy, Brett Fucking Bash.Continuity
Lured in by Newstoday, K10K, PixelSurgeon, Design is Kinky. Joshua Davis casually lurking in the olden times Brooke (life invector updates were pretty stellar. It was funner when the world was smaller.