- Last post
- 2,731 Responses
I'm skeptical of people who believe they know what is possible and what is not.
anyways, like clockwork, circa every 6 month a religious thread will popup
and the cat fight will start,
then I jump in, then feel stupid because my God isn't the even yahweh
Some people feel good from doing bad.
It feels good to be bad.
- Feels good to be a gangster.Claymantis
- good/bad, just more man-made conceptsmonospaced
- Regardless you have to define something. You need to pick something and go forward.Claymantis
- So it doesnt matter if its just meaningless human words... it means just as much as anything else.Claymantis
Religion doesn't deal well with strong willed people. They don't understand why people won't convert or be convinced. They believe it was so easy for them to become persuaded, they become offended if you believe differently than they do.
I've never heard a man of science ramble till they were blue in the face about telling another how they should live, but you don't have to look further than this thread to see a person of faith doing just that.
is anybody arguing FOR the existence of god here besides Morning_star?
- Woah woah woah there young fella m'lad. I'm arguing an for the possibility.Morning_star
- it's possible that the universe is sitting on the back of a giant turtle, too. fucking yawn.scarabin
- Your point.Morning_star
- I like turtlesukit2
- if you can't figure out my point i don't think you should be debating this sort of thing in publicscarabin
- Enlighten me.Morning_star
- his point is that it's JUST AS LIKELY the universe is on the back of a turtle than it is created by "God"monospaced
- Yes, I agree. So what is his point.Morning_star
"I've never heard a man of science ramble till they were blue in the face about telling another how they should live, but you don't have to look further than this thread to see a person of faith doing just that. "
Have you ever listened to Richard Dawkins
- Dawkins is a dick - I think most right-headed agnotheists would agree with that.detritus
- He's a pitiless absolutist with no magic who derives far too much joy from bullying people less smart than him.detritus
- Or, at least, he was back in the days I cared to follow agno/theistic 'debates'. God, what a waste of time.detritus
*incants darkly, summoning Teleos/Flagellum/Cthulu from the dark, dank wastes of time*
The problem with religion is that they worship the words of men rather than Gods
Jesus was probably the David Koresh/ L. Ron Hubbard of his time, a delusional egomaniac
I had an odd "revelation" once....
I grew up an atheist, with scientific parents in Tennessee of all places, so I was told I'm going to hell constantly when I was little... got used to it.... I was the first grade kid who, when told about the virgin mary, asked the teacher "what's a virgin?"
....but hey, I realized... asking a hard-line religious person to try to stop converting you and leave you alone may be like asking them to stop taking their religion seriously, and/or to consider you worthless....
...that is if they really do believe their own religion and aren't just doing it all for social / cultural reasons....
I have many problems with religions. One of those is having to open the door every saturday because some jehova witness cunt wants to give me some stupid magazines.
"Love and kindness" are the very basis of society. If we lose these feelings, society will face tremendous difficulties; the survival of humanity will be endangered.
(Photograph: H. H. the Dalai Lama offering prayer in the local Tibetan Muslim community mosque, Srinagar, India.)
- His Holiness the Dalai Lama
- agree, but it's naive to say that religion is the only way to achieve love and kindnessmonospaced
- It seems to be very good at producing the opposite.i_monk
- ironically, yes, you're rightmonospaced
- you dont need a religion for this. love & kindness is the religion. live by that the rest will fall into place.teh
Religion. I put a label on it so some of you could tell the rest of you that you are doing it wrong.
- The man is a bully and an idiot who makes cheap snipes for laffs. Well done Ricky..Morning_star
- comedians are funny and talk about real life? really? no way? :/albums
- Absolutely. And because of this it makes him an expert on the finer points of the origins of the universe. Don't think so.Morning_star
- Ricky Gervais, the $80 million idiot. Yeah morning star, what you said...albums
- Oh right. The more money you have, the more intelligent you are. Sorry, didn't realise.Morning_star
- Any more/less than you?
How does that work?detritus
- That was supposed to be note #4detritus
- he's JUST as qualified to talk about the Universe origins as ANYONE on this fucking planet and you know itmonospaced
- more so than a 4000 year old ancient bookmonospaced
- http://www.qbn.com/t… so uh, yeahalbums
- You are mad because Ricky is right.ernexbcn
- ancient books written, rewritten again and again by men. Ricky is correct.teh
- He can say what he likes. And does, that what doesn't sit with some people. I like what he says, he makes me laugh, End.mikotondria3
I'm glad to see we've finally realised that this once-contentious subject now looks like it's within distance of being resolved.
For what it's worth:
- I don't believe in god, God or GOD or whatever the deity is named.
- I do think that the central philosophies at the heart of most religions are for good and should be studied and learnt from.
- There are things in this universe that science, as it exists at the moment, cannot explain.
It's not so much that people find the need to believe in god that bothers me, it's what they do with him.
The god people seem to believe in always seems to support their beliefs 100%. How come a certain group's god ever disagrees with them.
Hey, I hate gays! Well, god seems to hate them too! Well alright!
Hey, I have to kill those people over there! Hey, my god says that's a good thing! Well alright.
It seems the people that stand up and say "Hey, wait...I think god doesn't want you to do that." tend to not be very popular. Or you know, get nailed to crosses.